Wednesday 13 April 2011

Game Reviews

I plan to do some game reviews of computer games I have enjoyed playing recently. I am a fan of old 8 bit computer games from the 1980s for the Acorn Electron, and I could go on and on about them, but the ones I will be reviewing will be some modern games for a PC (or other game machines that can be emulated on a PC). All these emulators and games can be downloaded for free if you choose from the internet. You can also get an emulator for the Acorn Electron computer, eg. 'Elkulator' or 'Electrem' to play on the PC, and can find a massive number of games for it at the 'StairwayToHell' website. I've also made some videos on my 'Youtube' channel showing some Acorn Electron games synchronised with songs - partly intentionally synchronised and partly by coincidence as usual.

Lately I have become fascinated by 'Barbie' games, in which you play as the popular doll character. These are supposedly for young girls only, and are very simple, but I have found a few really good ones which are interesting, fun to play and quite challenging for anyone. I'll probably be reviewing these first. I've also tried watching a couple of Barbie films as well, and as surprisingly as with some of the games, these have turned out to be very enjoyable to watch. This just goes to show how "if you never try you'll never know what you're missing!"

A popular online multiplayer game I used to play is called 'Runescape', and though I would recommend it I probably won't be reviewing this one. I enjoyed it in the past, but then there was a significant change to it that ruined the main part of what was so good about it. Still, like some other online multiplayer games, this is a good 'virtual world' for people who live far apart to meet and engage in activities together, and get to know each other better than just by writing words in messages.

I might mention a few others, but these are the games I will be planning to review. Some appear identical played on different machines, but some are quite different, or else don't appear at all on other machines. Even if I don't get around to reviewing them, these are ones I highly recommend checking out...

Barbie Explorer - Playstation
Secret Agent Barbie - Gameboy Advance
Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp - Playstation 2
Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue - Playstation 2
Detective Barbie: The Mystery Cruise - Playstation
Barbie Super Sports - Playstation

Puzzle Pirates - online multiplayer
Legend Of Edda - online multiplayer
Pirates Of The Burning Sea - online multiplayer

The Movies - PC
Silent Hill 3 - PC
Army Men RTS - PC
LSD Dream Emulator - Playstation
Rule Of Rose - Playstation 2
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - Playstation 2
Artificial Girl 3 (with English subtitles) - PC
Kari Virtual Girlfriend - PC

There are other good games I would recommend that could be played either directly or emulated on a PC, and I might mention them, but these are mainly ones that have stood out as exceptional, or at least noteworthy in some way, and that I would never tire of playing it seems.


As a final note, another couple of games worthy of mention (but which I probably won't review) are the Bruno R. Marcos Star Wars games. These are excellent games Marcos has written and offers free. One is called 'The Battle Of Yavin', which is based on the classic Star Wars game, based on the space battle at the end of episode IV. The other is called 'The Battle Of Endor' and is based on the space battle at the end of episode VI. Get them here...

http://www.bruneras.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment